Countdown to Brighton Speed Trials 2015!
Saturday 5th September, 9am - 6pm
The BHMC is best known as the organiser of the world-famous Brighton Speed Trials. We started in 1905 so have been going over 100 years - this makes it the longest-running motorsport event in the world!
An entertaining day-out for all the family, it showcases a wide range of cars and motorbikes racing over a quarter of a mile, along Brighton's historic beachfront, Madeira Drive.
In 2013 the Brighton Speed Trials was almost lost when the council declined our application to run it. However overwhelming support for our Save Brighton Speed Trials campaign generated over 12,400 names on a petition, over 7,000 likes on our FaceBook page, hundreds of online forum discussions as well as dozens of articles in the local and national press, in magazines and on TV and radio.
Local people, the motorsport industry as well as key figures such as Sir Stirling Moss, Brighton bestselling author Peter James, Tiff Needell of Fifth Gear, Nick Mason of Pink Floyd and Top Gear’s The Stig all backed the campaign. Thanks to the high profile support the council had a unanimous turnaround and the Brighton Speed Trials continues.
The Club also runs other activities during the year including:
- A trip to the Autosport Show in January.
- The Spring Jolly - a trip out with club members, centred around cars or motorsport.
- The Goodwood Sprints in May & August.
- The Concours and Classic Car Show, held in the grounds of Brighton's beautiful Stanmer Park.
- The London-to-Brighton Veteran Car Run in November.
- The Annual Dinner Dance in December.
A full list can be found on the Events page.